Having a strong Health & Safety culture or approach within your organisation goes way beyond keeping employees safe at work. Yes, your employee’s safety should most-definitely be at the forefront, but it has also been shown that having a strong and positive Health & Safety culture can affect everything from manufacturing processes to profits.
The Health & Safety Executive believes that the Health & Safety culture of an organisation is the summation of group values, attitudes, perceptions, competencies and behavioral patterns, which together determine the commitment to, and the style of, Health & Safety management.
You may find that by even approaching the words ‘Health & Safety’ within your organisation instantly fills the office with dread and objection which could potentially be fatal and result in accidents, injuries, illnesses, even loss of life. Don’t allow this to happen in your workplace.
How do you go about promoting and maintaining a strong and positive Health & Safety culture?
Here are a few ideas and suggestions on how to maintain a positive Health & Safety culture:
- Make safety policies readily available electronically or on paper, and use your intranet to communicate safe practices, expectations, and best practices.
- When new employees start, give them a proper safety induction. Training employees demonstrates your commitment to safety.
- Set the rules, then stick to them. Make sure your employees follow the Health & Safety legislation.
- Make sure your employees have what they need to carry out their work in a safe manner.
- Make sure your Health & Safety training is interesting. Your training needs to be engaging and encouraging.
- Learn from accidents and near-misses, but never blame.
- Recognise safe behavior, Positive reinforcement Is essential in building safe habits.
It can take some time to develop a good Health & Safety culture. Health & Safety cultures continually evolve and continuous effort is required to ensure that changes are positive.
At Safety Media we are passionate about changing the negative perception of Health & Safety. With over 125 engaging, Health & Safety and Compliance & Soft Skills courses to choose from, you really can’t go wrong in promoting a positive Health & Safety culture. Regulate a safe workplace with specific tools, including Incident Reporting, Risk Management, Audit Module and Document Management software.
Get in touch with one of our team members today for more information or a demonstration.